The Theremin workshops in Oxford, organized by Lydia Kavina in cooperation with the Faculty of Music of the University of Oxford, and domiciled at the Bate Collection, have already a years long tradition. But from this year on, thanks to the generosity of the Bate Collection director Andrew Lamb, we are happy to extend the program to a regular 4 days long Theremin Academy, offering a huge variety of Theremin Lessons, Seminars, Workshops, Chamber music classes, Concerts and social events to allow the participants from Great Britain and the Continent to meet and exchange.
World renowned and Oxford based thereminist Lydia Kavina and Theremin Academy Director Thierry Frenkel from Colmar/France will host this UK premiere, assisted by the British guest teacher Charles Draper and with the support of the whole British theremin community.
Friday, August 25th
Arrival of the participants between 12PM and 2PM Individual lessons with Lydia and Thierry First sessions of both chamber music classes (for details see below) Common dinner of all participants after 7PM
Saturday, August 26th
Individual lessons with Lydia and Thierry Theremin service / repair / upgrade with Thierry Second sessions of both chamber music classes (for details see below) Group Workshop for beginners with Lydia Group workshop “Understanding your Theremin and optimizing your playing technique” with Thierry * Public Event: Seminar – Introduction to the Theremin – presentation, technique, hands on / guided try out at 6PM * Public Event: Theremin Concert by Lydia Kavina, Thierry Frenkel and others at 7PM Sunday, August 27th
Individual lessons with Lydia, Thierry, and Charlie Theremin service / repair / upgrade with Thierry Third sessions of both chamber music classes (for details see below) * Public Event: Seminar – Theremin history and music from 12AM to 1PM * Theremin orchestra rehearsal for all participants together * Private concert (chamber music classes and individual students) * Guided tour/walk “Oxford by night” at 8:30PM
Monday, August 28th (bank holiday)
Individual lessons with Lydia and Thierry Theremin service / repair / upgrade with Thierry
Registration and pricing for active participants
- The package registration fee for all active participants (£60) comprises the participation in all concerts, presentations, seminars and other activities marked with an asterisk.
- The group workshops (£20 / 90min), the chamber music classes (£25 for all 3 sessions, see below) and individual lessons (£30 / 45min) may be booked in addition, individually.
- Theremin maintenance / repair / upgrade service rates may be found on the registration form for common tasks, or you may request a quote for special demands.
- Out of that, you’ll have to pay for your own stay and food, including your restaurant note at the common dinner.
- The registration form is available through a link at the end of this text. Please read until the end, before.
- After registering, you will get an invoice for the package fee and the price of your booked options (individual lessons, workshops, chamber music class, etc.) which you’ll have to pay immediately after reception to validate your registration.
- Theremin service, upgrade and repair won’t appear on that invoice. These services must be paid directly to Thierry in cash.
Chamber music classes
- Both chamber music classes comprise 3 sessions à 45 min. each. Each of both classes will accept 3 to 5 participants. The piece(s) of music on which we will work will be chosen about 3 weeks before the academy begins, depending on the inscriptions. Scores will be sent out then to allow preparation and practice
- The chamber music class n°1 for beginners is for people who have no or only few experience in playing with a theremin ensemble (trio/quartet/quintet). Participants are required to read music, be able to play easy melodies within 1 to 1 1/2 octaves and to prepare and practice the score in advance, so that we might concentrate on playing together.
- The chamber music class n°2 for advanced players is for people who have already acquired some experience in playing with a theremin ensemble (trio/quartet/quintet). Participants are required to read music, be able to play easy melodies within 2 to 3 octaves and to prepare and practice the score in advance, so that we might concentrate on playing together.
- Both classes will present the result of their work at the student’s concert.