The new site is adapted to the practices and expectations of different audiences and its design will enhance the experience of online visitors. Focusing on the user’s browsing journey, it presents free and simplified access to all the art works in the collection, enriched teaching and cultural resources, tools and innovative content, such as Le Magazine – an online media dedicated to the latest news and behind-the-scenes stories from the Centre Pompidou, as seen through the prism of modern and contemporary creation in all its forms.Of particular interest to our readership will be The Kandinsky Library – home to the documentary collections and the archives of the Musée National d’Art Moderne. The collection’s scope is both exceptional and interdisciplinary, as it contains manuscripts, prints, artist books, photographs, films and videos.
The corpus archived at the Kandinsky Library is truly international and covers many fields of the history of art from the 20th and 21st centuries. There are over 180 archive collections which bear testimony to the diversity of characters who have contributed to modern and contemporary movements:
- Artists such as Constantin Brancusi, Vassily Kandinsky, Guy de Cointet, Aurélie Nemours or Claude Rutault
- Architects, designers and engineers such as André Bloc, Jean Prouvé and Ettore Sottsass
- Photographers, film directors, videographers such as Marc Vaux, Harry Shunk, Véra Cardot and Pierre Joly
- Art critics and theorists such as Paul Destribats, Anne-Marie Duguet or Ida Gianelli.
- Galleries, bookshops, publishing houses and journals through Les Cahiers d’Art, for example.
In addition, the Kandinsky Library holds over 18,000 rare and precious books, including exhibition catalogues from the beginning of the 20th century, architecture and design books, artists’ libraries, photography books, as well as a rich collection of artists’ books from the contemporary period, including several book works and emblems. The library also has over 8,000 journals which illustrate the diversity of the publishing industry in the 20th century, as well as many films about art and a large digital library.Explore the new website and enjoy!