This is a unique opportunity to attend a concert in Cambridge delivered by a group of five finest soloists from Saratov St Nikolsky Monastery Male Choir.
To prolong the happy mood of spring and Easter, you are warmly welcomed to this incredible concert! A renowned 5-strong male choir, from the Russian city of Saratov on the banks of the Volga River, is coming to Cambridge for the first time! They will perform a programme of Russian liturgical music as well as a selection of renowned Russian folk songs. They sing a capella.
“Nikolsky Male Ensemble” was formed in 2015 as a part of a bigger male choir of the Saratov St. Nikolsky Monastery. Saratov is an old Russian city on the banks of the Volga River; it is also famous for its Conservatoire has long-lasting music tradition – in particular, a tradition of a capella singing of sacred music and Russian folk songs. The Ensemble has done numerous tours, introducing people all over Europe to Russian musical heritage.
Members of the Ensemble are chosen from amongst the finest soloists performing in the Saratov Opera House, the Theatre of Choral Music and Russian Orthodox cathedrals in the region of Saratov.
Each singer has a passionate commitment to Russian music, but they also have an extensive repertoire that includes music written by the great classical composers from Western Europe.
Even though their audience cannot always understand Russian, people are always deeply moved by the beauty and the depth of the music.
The first part of the concert will comprise motets and liturgical pieces from the Eastern Orthodox tradition some of which were written as far back as 300 years ago.
The second part is devoted to Russian folk songs that display a range of feelings and, with their rhythms and tunes, may help the listeners to catch a glimpse of the mysterious “Russian Soul”!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for advance ticket booking enquiries.
To book your tickets please pay by bank transfer to:
The Russian Speaking Society
NATWEST Bank, Sort code 60-11-30. Account 18120466
Ref: “NE/Your Name”
Please email email@example.com to let us know that you have paid and the number of tickets you are booking.
Nikolsky Ensemble – Programme 15.04.2018
By proceeding to the link, you will be able to see the English translations of all Part I and II chants and songs.
Part One. Sacred music
1. “Pascha troparion” Greek-Latin-Slavic
2. N. Kedrov Jr. “Psalm 103(104)”
3. P. Chesnokov “Having seen the resurrection of Christ”
4. A. Gretchaninov “Now, Master, you let your servant depart in peace”
5. P. Tchaikovsky “O Lord, save the Faithful…Trisagion”
6. “Let my prayer be set forth…” Greek chant
7. D. Hristov “In thy Kingdom”
8. M. Mussorgsky “The Angel exclaimed”
9. S. Rachmaninov “Mother of God and Virgin, Rejoice / Hail Mary” (Bogoroditse, Devo, raduisya) from “All-Night Vigil”, op. 37
10. P. Chesnokov “O, Earnest Helper…”
11. D. Bortniansky Concert №15 “Ye people, let us come and sing Christ’s Resurrection”
12. N. Kedrov “Lord’s Prayer”
13. A. Kosolapov “Confirm, O God, the Holy Orthodox Faith”
Part Two. Secular music
1. In the Dark Woods
2. Black Raven
3. Dear Little Rowan
4. Moscow Nights
6. Song of the Volga Boatmen
7. Folk Accordion
8. Those Evening Bells
9. Along the Piterskaia Street